Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

This *is* the 21st century... right??

Happy Black Friday!!! It is by far my second favorite holiday in the world! (not a real holiday? Please! Any day that is specifically ALL ABOUT SHOPPING, is a holiday;) Chris and I managed to snag the last Nikon Coolpix L310 from Target around 2 this morning! It was HALF OFF!! We are super excited about having a more "grown up" camera than our last one to capture all of Baby's most precious moments! (Yes, it's still technically a "point and shoot" BUT it looks and feels like a *real camera* so I still feel more grown up. lol)
via

Anyway, after taking a nap from all the shopping, I decided to log on to my old friend Meetup.com and check out Mommy groups. I don't have a lot of Mommy friends in the area, and thought it would be fun to get to know some other women and get Baby D socialized (trying to plan ahead here!;)

It was a complete failure. Every group within a 25 mile radius of my zip code was for stay-at-home moms. So, of course, most of their outings/activities are during the day.

Now, not that I don't love SAHMs! My mom was one, Chris's mom was one, I'd love to be one... you know, if money weren't a necessity, lol. But at this point, I'll be returning to work a couple months after Baby's arrival and Chris will be the stay-at-home parent (and I honestly have mixed feelings about him joining a "mommy" group...)

The whole purpose of my title is just that I'm so shocked. Like, this isn't 1950 anymore where everyone's mom is June Cleaver (ah, but what a world that would be;) so what are other working moms doing?? Just not making friends? Letting their babies socialize at day care? Do they already have a strong support network of other mom friends? (I'd find that one hard to believe because, if this is indeed the 21st century, which I'm *pret-ty* sure it is, people are moving more now than in any generation before! Except for maybe during Oregon Trail days when everyone was going out west.) [No. I have no statistical data to back up any of those last statements. Just trust me on this one;)]

And yes, I *could* start my own group, 'cause I imagine we can't be the only working mom/SAHD combination, I'm just not sure I'm ready for another added responsibility... Has anyone else had issues like this? Trying to find where you fit in?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment